Thursday, May 07, 2009

FROM SENATOR SNOWE TO US: THE GOP LOVES THE RICH

Like we didn't already know that. The GOP has been the party of the wealthy, big business, and big oil for years and years. You can go all the way back to Warren G. Harding and Calvin Coolidge to see that. It was during the Reign of St Ronnie of Reagan and then during the Bush II Reign of Terror that the Rethuglican love for big oil, big business, and the wealthy was magnified.

Allow me to let Senator Snowe tell you in her own words.

From Think Progress:

Sen. Snowe: GOP is ‘the party of Big Business and Big Oil and the rich.’

In a new Time article on the state of the Republican Party, Sen. Olympia Snowe (R-ME) lamented the GOP’s exclusion of groups like minorities and environmentalists. “Ideological purity is not the ticket to the promised land,” she said, echoing comments her fellow Maine senator Susan Collins (R) made last week. She also complained that, “to the average American,” the GOP is just the party of “Big Oil and the rich“:

Snowe recalls that when she proposed fiscally conservative “triggers” to limit Bush’s tax cuts in case of deficits, she was attacked by fellow Republicans. “I don’t know when willy-nilly tax cuts became the essence of who we are,” she says.To the average American who’s struggling, we’re in some other stratosphere. We’re the party of Big Business and Big Oil and the rich.

Of course, Americans are right to view the GOP as the party of Big Oil, which gave nearly $20 million to the Republican party apparatus during the last election cycle. The securities and investments industry — big banks — donated more than $54 million to the GOP.

4 comments:

A World Quite Mad said...

LOLz. When I first read your title, I thought it said "The GOP loves the Reich" and I thought, how appropriate. XD

BTW, one of the few memories I have of my grandmother was her going on about how the Republicans were "for the rich." That was during the Reagan administration. Nothing has changed, it's only gotten worse.

Gordon said...

Sen. Snowe would be a better Dem than Sphincter.

Grandpa Eddie said...

AWQM - There I go again, not checking the title to make sure I didn't screw something up. Damn!

I fixed it now, thanks for pointing that out for me.

Your grandmother was right. I heard pretty much the same thing from both of my mom's parents all the way back in the 60's.

Grandpa Eddie said...

Gordon - I was hoppin' she'd swing over our way. She'd be a helluva lot better then that useless dipwad Specter.