Monday, May 11, 2009

THE EVIL ONE, DARTH CHENEY, UNWITTINGLY HELPS THE DEMOCRATS


Never did I ever think that the Democrats would ever get any help from the Evil Darth Cheney.
Surprise, surprise! By his choosing Rush Limbaugh over Colin Powell as the face of conservatism he did more harm than good for the Rethuglican party.

From Steve Benen at Washington Monthly via Alter Net:

Good News for Dems: Dick Cheney Hearts Rush Limbaugh

Dick Cheney, the DNC's manna from heaven.

The good news for Democrats is that Dick Cheney, despite assurances about exiting the stage, keeps talking. The better news for Democrats is the message the former vice president chooses to emphasize.

One of the main goals of the DNC this year, for example, has been to position Rush Limbaugh as a leader, if not the leader, of the Republican Party. Yesterday, Cheney helped move this argument forward.

Former Vice President Dick Cheney said on Sunday that he preferred Rush Limbaugh's brand of conservatism to former Secretary of State Colin L. Powell's, saying Mr. Powell had abandoned the Republican Party when he endorsed Barack Obama for president last year.

"Well, if I had to choose in terms of being a Republican, I'd go with Rush Limbaugh, I think," Mr. Cheney said in an interview on "Face the Nation" on CBS. "I think my take on it was Colin had already left the party. I didn't know he was still a Republican."

Mr. Cheney said he "assumed" Mr. Powell's support of Mr. Obama over Senator John McCain was "an indication of his loyalty and his interest."

This is, of course, music to the DNC's ears. Putting aside the question of whether Powell's image deserves rehabilitation -- there's ample reason to believe his Bush administration service tarnished his reputation beyond repair -- the former Secretary of State remains a respected public figure. For most of the country, I suspect, admiration for Powell dwarfs toleration for Limbaugh.

Which is why Cheney's comments yesterday were so helpful for the GOP's detractors. As the Republican Party shrinks, and more Americans would prefer to see more influence from moderates like Powell and less influence from right-wing radio hosts, a wildly unpopular former vice president publicly embraced the opposite line. Indeed, he effectively dismissed the very idea of Powell even being a Republican anymore, throwing his support to the loudmouth who wants to see the president and his policies fail.

Dick Cheney, the DNC's manna from heaven.

In the same interview, Cheney effectively argued that a failure to torture will kill Americans; said he may be willing to testify under oath about the administration's torture policies; conceded that Bush personally "signed off on" the torture program; and added that he has "no regrets" over his alleged wrongdoing.

If you missed yesterday's interview, you can a) watch it online; or b) wait for Cheney's next national television appearance, which if recent history is any guide, should be any day now.

19 comments:

Riot Kitty said...

He is such an evil shithead, I've always considered him a boon for the Democrats :)

He and Rush should just fuck and get it over with already.

Grandpa Eddie said...

"He and Rush should just fuck...."

Riot Kitty - Thanks, now I'm gonna have nightmares!

LeftyLadi said...

Ewwww!!! My eyes! My eyes! The mental visual of Rush and Dick has temporarily blinded me.

Grandpa Eddie said...

Nancy - I know, I had to go find the brain-bleach.

Gordon said...

Perhaps they'll go Iowa and make it legal first? More bleach...

Grandpa Eddie said...

Gordon - No thanks. I don't want either one of them anywhere near 'Sconsin.

Now....where did I put that bottle...

skyewriter said...

Really, if you look at it one way, the GOP can do nothing wrong.

Everything they do and say makes *any* liberal/progressive look better than their brand of shyte.

Grandpa Eddie said...

skyewriter - I think anything the Evil One says or does only helps Obama and the Democrats and hurts the Rethuglicans.

themom said...

In my humble opinion, I say..let him testify before Congress. Sen. Leahy would have his lifelong wish fulfilled. But we all know that if he is required to testify UNDER OATH - that will so not happen. What a dickhead Dick is.

In my perfect world, Cheney, Hannity, Bachmann, Gingrich and Mann Coulter would not exist!!

Grandpa Eddie said...

themom - I think we all know that the Evil One will never testify under oath.

BTW, I think that would be every liberal's perfect world.

Patricia said...

Never did two people deserve each other more. Dick and Rush make a perfect team. They should do all their public appearances together.

Phil said...

Keep talking asshole.

At least we know where he is.

LeftyLadi said...

Those two terrorists together would clear a football stadium to empty. People running, screaming into the aisles, stampeding to get to the exit doors. Eddie, hand me that bleach would ya?

Grandpa Eddie said...

ZenYenta - They do deserve each other.

The only problem I can see (which would work out great for liberals) would be that Cheney's use to having a puppet to control and Limbaugh is use to telling people what to do. The clash of egos would be trouble for the Rethuglicans and a bonus for the Democrats.

Grandpa Eddie said...

Bustednuckles - Yeah it's real easy to find him now. He hasn't been outta the bunker this long in eight years.

Grandpa Eddie said...

Nancy - Sorry dear, I'm fresh outta bleach....used it all up yesterday from the visual I got after Riot Kitty's comment.

BTW, Good Morning, Nancy!

LeftyLadi said...

Good Morning Eddie! No problem about the bleach. When I woke up this morning, my dog Charlie was next to my face staring at me, then licked my eyes. Took that Rush/Dick vision away and replaced it with dog lips. Way more pleasant.

Grandpa Eddie said...

Nancy - Charlie's a good liberal dog by saving you from that obscene vision.

LeftyLadi said...

When Charlie Dog and I first met, he 'smiled' the way dogs do when they're happy. Conservative dogs snarl. Liberal dogs smile. I knew right then we were meant for each other.

Now cats, on the other hand, are all liberals and wouldn't hesitate to scratch Rush and Dick's eyes out if necessary.