Friday, April 03, 2009

A CONSTITUTIONAL VICTORY FOR GAY MARRIAGE

The Iowa State Supreme Court has taken a Constitutional stand on the side of Gay marriage.

From The Brad Blog:

Iowa Supreme Court Unanimously Affirms Constitutional Right to Marriage Equality!

In yet another Constitutionally conservative ruling, from yet another state Supreme Court, the very American values of equal protection under the law and protection of the minority against the tyranny of the majority (and against the tyranny of Big Government intrusion into private lives) have been upheld in Iowa today!



The Iowa Supreme Court this morning upheld a Polk County judge’s 2007 ruling that marriage should not be limited to one man and one woman.

The ruling, viewed nationally and at home as a victory for the gay rights movement and a setback for social conservatives, means Iowa’s 5,800 gay couples can legally marry in Iowa beginning April 24.
...
Today’s decision makes Iowa the first Midwestern state, and the third in the country, to allow same-sex marriages. Lambda Legal, a gay rights group, financed the court battle and represented six couples who challenged Iowa’s 10-year-old ban on gay marriage.

Supreme Court Justice Mark Cady, who wrote the unanimous decision, at one point invoked the court’s first-ever decision, in 1839, which struck down slavery laws 17 years before the U.S. Supreme Court upheld the right of a slave owner to treat a person as property.


In addition to real Constitutional conservatives who should be rejoicing today, true Fiscal conservatives should also appreciate today's ruling, which is bound to be a boon to the state's economy since "There are no residency rules for marriage in Iowa, so the rule would apply to any couple who wanted to travel to Iowa."

Welcome into the light of civilized society and equality for all, Iowa! That's three states down (MA, CT and IA), with just 47 more to go!


(Hat-tip to Brad Friedman at The Brad Blog )

5 comments:

Gordon said...

This is OT, then again maybe not. I wanted to get a Cuss-O-Meter result like in your sidebar, figured the Brain would snap that needle clean off! Turns out it's a dating service of some kind and they wanted TMI so I dropped it. Had my choice of whomever I wanted to look for, though.

Grandpa Eddie said...

I just went into my template and took the dating shit off.
The meter doesn't change from what it was when I first got it, but that don't matter to me, I still like it being there.

Gordon said...

I don't know how to do that, even though Fixer gave me a set of keys to this rig. Maybe he'll do it.

Grandpa Eddie said...

Gordon - Yeh, just ask Fixer to do it. It's pretty easy....must be if I could do it, no slam on you pal.

Like I said, it took the "dating" crap, but the meter doesn't change now, but that's ok by me.

Gordon said...

I hesitate to ask Fixer to do anything until his remodel is complete. He's got a full plate. Later on. Thanks.