Wednesday, April 29, 2009

ARLEN SPECTER JUMPED SHIP, WILL SEN. OLYMPIA SNOWE OF MAINE FOLLOW

Everyone knows by now that Sen. Arlen Specter (R) of Pennsylvania is now Sen. Arlen Specter (D) of Pennsylvania. Some have been wondering if Sen. Olympia Snowe (R) of Maine would follow him to the other side of the aisle.

From Alter Net:

Specter's switch to the Democratic Party "underscores the blunt reality" that the GOP is not a welcome place for moderates.
ssnowelarge

Sen. Olympia Snowe of Maine, one of the few remaining moderate Republicans in the Senate, said Tuesday that Arlen Specter's abandonment of the GOP is "devastating," both "personally and I think for the party."

"I've always been deeply concerned about the views of the Republican Party nationally in terms of their exclusionary policies and views towards moderate Republicans," said Snowe, who has been approached, she said, by Democrats in the past about switching parties.

So far, she said, she's staying put. "I believe in the traditional tenets of the Republican Party: strong national defense, fiscal responsibility, individual opportunity. I haven't abandoned those principles that have been the essence of the Republican Party. I think the Republican Party has abandoned those principles.

She added that being a Republican is simply part of who she is. "It's my ethnic heritage, Spartan side, that continues to fight," she said.


(Hat-tip to Ryan Grim at the Huffington Post)

4 comments:

YogaforCynics said...

I sure hope she does...as it is, moderates like Olympia Snowe put a happy face on what's become an extreme right wing party.

Riot Kitty said...

She's one of, what, two moderates left? Seriously!

Love your story on my blog btw!

Grandpa Eddie said...

Yoga - I agree, it sure would be nice if she came over to the party that cares. She isn't going to get anywhere with the extremists that fill the right wing.

Grandpa Eddie said...

Riot kitty - I'd love to see Snowe and the other moderate slide over to the left, it sure would help Obama get things done.

I kinda thought you'd like that little story from my shopping excursion this morning. I could have worded it a little better, but I was still pissed off when I got home....I had calmed down a little bit, otherwise there would have been a lot more vulgarity in my comment.