Tuesday, February 24, 2009

IT ONCE WAS MY FATHER'S COUNTRY......

Jack Cafferty has a column up at CNN about how this country can't stay the same as it once was, that is, like it was during the prosperity of the '50's and early '60's.

It's not your father's USA anymore.

NEW YORK (CNN) -- I think this time, it's different. I have this uneasy feeling our country is in the process of changing forever, and not necessarily for the better -- unless our perspective changes with it.

I have kicked around longer than most people: I'm 66 years old. I remember well the '50s and early '60s, which were times of unbridled enthusiasm, prosperity and opportunity.

The American dream was a job, a house, a car. A modest, affordable house and a car that was most likely a Chevrolet, Ford or Plymouth.

People weren't in debt buying things they couldn't afford, and neither was the government. There were recessions along the way -- relatively mild downturns of short duration -- but nothing like this feels like it's going to be.

**********

This is not your father's country anymore. And we had better all start getting used to it.

On the bright side, our history shows that times of shared national sacrifice have resulted in our greatest national achievements. It's been a very long time since we have been called upon to make any kind of serious sacrifice. We were overdue until one day in September, when Lehman Brothers collapsed. We're not overdue anymore.

Now even though I like Jack, I don't always agree with him.

This time I do.

2 comments:

SheaNC said...

"At the end of the day, we are going to have to settle for less. Less money, smaller houses, smaller cars and smaller dreams."

My wife and I have pretty much stuck to that plan, although we have fallen into debt and I really kick myself for it. Still, we bought a tiny little house, drive a tiny little car, wish only to survive in relative comfort, rather than nuveau opulence.

Grandpa Eddie said...

I hear ya, Shea.
My wife and I have cut back on everything. We turned the heat down to 64 degrees, closed off rooms, don't go out to eat at all. Even though we don't have a car payment...wife's car is payed off and I drive old & used...there's still the house payment, and we gotta have a place to live.
I guess we gave up on 'the dream' last year, now we just wanna survive.