Wednesday, December 14, 2005

RIBBONS, RIBBONS, AND MORE RIBBONS

Ribbons. We've all seen them. On cars, on trucks, on SUV's, on almost anything that a magnet will stick to.

There are yellow ones, red white and blue ones, stars and stripes, even camouflage...all in support of the troops. There are others out there...pink for Breast Cancer is just one example. You don't see many of those. What you see the most is those yellow ribbons with "Support the Troops" on them. Buy the ribbon and support the troops...all while lining the pockets of American importers and some guy in China.

It's gotten to the point that everytime I see a ribbon on a vehicle I expect it to have "Support the Troops" on it...until this past weekend.

The Mrs. and I were in the town where I work...about ten miles from where we live...on Saturday. I had been there, at work, and...now don't laugh too hard, you might choke on something....I locked my keys in the van. I'll pause so you can get that laugh out of your system. OK, thats long enough.

Anyway, the Mrs. came with her keys to rescue me...thanks to the cell phone she recently bought for me. Never had one before and didn't think I needed one. Glad I've got one now.

But I digress. Let me get back to the subject of ribbons.

We decided to stop at one of the restaurants and get something to eat. While we were crossing the street to get to the restaurant an SUV went by slowly. I noticed a ribbon I had not had the opportunity to see before. It was as if someone had taken two ribbons. cut them in half down the middle, and put a half from each together to make one ribbon.

One half was yellow with "Support the Troops" on it. The other half...which was the Stars and Stripes...had something which pleased me to no end. On it were the words "Bring Them Home." I would love to see more of these ribbons on more vehicles. Hell, if I knew where to get one, I'd buy a couple and slap them on the van and the Mrs. car.

Now let's put those two phrases together.
"SUPPORT THE TROOPS BRING THEM HOME."

To George W. Bush, all his cronies, the Republican party, the 101st Keyboardists, and the rest of the chicken-shit chickenhawks that support the war and not the troops I say FUCK OFF! Just because we do not support your war of occupation does not mean that we don't support the troops...because we do and we do it with our hearts and minds, physically and "spiritually." And we do it one hell of alot better then you assholes do.

6 comments:

Fixer said...

Indeed, my friend.

Grandpa Eddie said...

Fixer,
I'd love to have enough $$$ to be able to by a mess of those ribbons and start plastering them everywhere.

SheaNC said...

They're out there:

http://images.google.com/images?ie=UTF-8&q=support%20the%20troops%20bring%20them%20home&sa=N&tab=wi

Grandpa Eddie said...

Shea,
Thanks, pal.

BTW, I'm subscribed to your blog thru Bloglet but whenever I get a notice that you've posted something new it doesn't show when I go to your blog. Don't know if you can do anything about it, but thought I'd better let you know. Last night the most recent post I could get was from Dec. 11.

Anonymous said...

You can get all the ribbon magnets you want for free at your local car wash. You might find one you like.

Grandpa Eddie said...

Thanks, Gordon. I'll have to check into that.